Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stevie has made his big debut!

Stevie is finally here! He made his big debut on Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 5:38PM. He was three days early. He weighed 8lbs 11oz and measured 20in long. He was a big boy, let me tell you! ;) I went into labor at 2:00 AM on Sunday. I woke up at 1:30AM having to go on my routinely middle of the night visit to the restroom, when I noticed I was leaking. I just thought, "Oh my gosh I'm so pregnant I can't even hold my urine anymore!" LOL Well it happened again at 2:00AM and this time I didn't even make it out of the bed and it was a little more than the last time. It kept coming little by little and I was almost positive at that time that it was not urine. I woke up Nick and told him that I thought my water was breaking. He mumbled in his sleep and asked why I thought that. He told me to call the nurse and see what she thought. She called the doctor and the on-call doctor told me to go in so they could check for sure. Well let me tell you our hospital was about 30 min. away. It is close to the stadium (far from Sugar Land). When I told Nick they want us to come in, he just groaned and said, "Are you serious?" He thought it was nothing and that they were just going to send us back. You have to understand we were both in sleep mode and wanted to stay there. We actually had just gone to bed at midnight. We stayed up late watching a movie. LOL As I was getting ready, a small gush of liquid came pouring out and we were both like, "Oh yeah it's time!" We hurridly gathered everything we thought we needed and headed straight for the hospital. It wasn't too difficult getting out of the house, because I had our things packed for a month and already in the car. :)



We got to the hospital and they admitted me right away and checked to make sure my water did break. Sure enough it broke. It was coming slowly. Nothing like the big gush we learned about in our classes. They hooked me up to the monitors right away to keep an eye on our heart rate and my contractions. They informed us that our doctor was out of town for the weekend so we had the doctor that was on-call. We were bummed at first, but in the end we were very satisfied. We tried to rest and relax because they told us it could be awhile before real labor started. We were so anxious and excited, it was hard to sleep. We didn't call anybody right away because it was too early. They eventually gave me potossium to get the contractions coming closer together. As soon as the contractions came closer together, they were becoming more painful. I usually have very very bad menstrual cramps, so I was pretty tolerante of the contractions. It was not until they were practically on top of each other that I couldn't take the pain anymore. I dilated to 5cm when I asked for the epidural. As soon as I received the meds, I was feeling so much better. I was in margaritaville! :) The labor progressed soon after. Within an hour I dilated to 6cm. Then within the next hour I dilated to 9cm. I was at a 9 for about 2 hours, then the doctor came in to check me and told me it was time to push. I have say that I had the best nurses I could have ever asked for. I had two and they were my nurses until I delivered or their shift was up. They tended to noone else but me. They were awesome. When I started to push, I thought it was going to be simple and fast. I pushed for 2 1/2 hours! It didn't seem that long, but usually they only let you go for 2 hours before they suggest a c-section. My nurses were so impressed with the fact that I had the correct pushing technique from the very beginning, so they asked the doctor to give me 30 more minutes. The doctor agreed and we were ALL on a mission. I had the best support system with me and Nick was the best out of all of them. He never left my side and never stopped giving me words of encouragement. I have to say that this was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I was TOTALLY exhausted! Nick was concerned about me during the whole pushing part of the labor. He said that my whole face would turn red and I was very luthargic after every pushing session. I had to put on an oxygen mask each time to lower my heart rate and to gain control my breathing. The baby and I both had a high heart rate and were starting to get a fever. The nurses did everything to help me stay motivated because at one point in time I was giving myself a pep talk. I kept telling myself that I could do this and I wasn't going to give up. I prayed and talked to Stevie the whole time. We were working together as a team! I was determined to deliver him and not get a c-section. I had worked too hard to get to that point that there was no turning back. Finally the last minute of the 30 min extension, he crowned! I felt like we just won the world series, because everybody was high fiving each other and cheering words of excitement. I felt like the MVP! :)

The doctor came just in time to catch him as he came out...literally! The nurses were so proud of my pushing skills. They asked me to show the doctor what a good pusher I was, so I did. I gave one great push and that was all it took. Nick said that he really came flying out and the doctor barely caught him. He said if you blinked you would have missed it. That was how fast he came hurling out of the womb. :) LOL He was stubborn at first and I guess he figured he would make a fabulous entrance to the world. Nick and I both cried tears of joy and gave each other a hug and kiss. I didn't get to see him right away, because they had to take him and make sure he was okay. We both had high heart rates and fever so they had to make sure he was okay. Nick saw him right away. They all talked me through everything that was being done to him so I wouldn't be left out. When I did finally get to hold him, it was the best moment I have ever experienced in my life. He was my miracle baby and a blessing from God!

No comments: